Alternative Text assistance is important for many types of disabilities and comes in several different formats. Our office has a license for all WWU students to use the program Read and Write. It offers multiple functions such as reading the text aloud and highlighting right on the device. Most alternative formats students receive will be compatible with this program. It’s important to note that due to copyright laws, the student must purchase their textbooks and let us know when that’s done before we can release the alternate version to them. Depending on the disability, it may be helpful for the student to purchase the book in paper format so that they can follow along as the software program reads to them.
Students should always contact us as soon as possible to get this accommodation started. It does take us a bit of time to convert things, especially since we generally have quite a few to do every quarter. The earlier we know what you need, the closer to the start of the term you’ll receive your materials. Our office has the ability to network with faculty to try and get as many class resources ahead of time so that they are ready when you need them throughout the class, but we can’t if we don’t know what you need, so make sure you’re communicating early and often with our office.
Requesting Alternative Text
- Log in to MyDAC with Username and Password.
- Request accommodations for each course.
- On the left hand side of MyDAC under “My Accommodations”, click “Alternative Formats”.
- Make sure you are on the correct quarter for the requested book on the Yellow Bar at the top of the screen. Adjust using “Next Term” as needed.
- Add books under Additional Book or Reading Material. Provide Class, Title, ISBN, Author, and Edition (as much info as available).
- If any articles are assigned throughout the quarter or for class related research, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any questions or are enrolling in a class that is not listed on MyDRS, contact the AT Specialist at 360-650-3083 or email@example.com.