Note taking is an accommodation that assists people with various disabilities by augmenting their own note taking skills to make sure they are able to benefit from all the information that is given in class. Many of our students with this accommodation may have difficulty learning to discern which facts are important or may have trouble processing the volume of incoming information among other challenges. For those students, note takers are an invaluable resource. This is not a chance to skip or sleep through class though! Those with this accommodation are still expected to fully participate and engage just like all other students.
I’ve been approved for a note taker, what next?
- Once you have been approved for a note taking accommodation, come into the DAC Office to pick up Note taker Referral Cards for each of your courses from the DAC front desk staff.
- Put your name and course information on each of the Note Taker Referral Cards.
- Student note takers in your courses can be found in the following three ways:
- Asking a fellow classmate in the course if they are willing to share their notes.
- Contacting your professor and requesting assistance in making an anonymous announcement to the class. The following is a sample:
“There is at least one student in our course who needs a copy of the class notes taken each day. The Disability Access Center is looking for at least two student note takers that are willing to upload their notes online every day. This is an hourly paid student employment position. If you have an excellent attendance record and you take accurate and legible notes, please see me.”
- By contacting the DAC Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting assistance. If the class announcement that your professor makes does not yield any potential note takers, please immediately contact us so that the DAC Office can proceed with seeking out note takers or finding appropriate alternate accommodations.
- After finding a classmate to take notes for you, give them a Note Taker Referral Card and tell them to fill it out and return the card to the DAC Office located in Wilson Library 170 so they can get paid.
- Notes are uploaded to myDAC within 24 hours of class finishing. They can be accessed and downloaded by looking under the “My Accommodations” menu and clicking on Note Taking Services.